torsdag den 19. juli 2012

Why slience is important

Silence. A thing most people don't notice. But a thing that is essential in most of art - if not all art.



The piece Contours of Silence by Hildegaard Westerkamp tells a story between speech, noise and silence. In the moments of silence I listen even more carefully. My mind shows me the story in moments of silence. When noise appears my mind focuses on the noise and thereby the noise shows the way. Noise removes the sonic subjectivity which appears in moments of silence.
   Sonic subjectivity or the silent 'I' exists in silence. It brings me or the 'I' in the middle of the picture because now my own sounds is part of the piece and that's what makes silence important.

If you want to listen to Contours of Silence then go here: http://www.fondosonm.com/index.php?option=com_muscol&view=song&id=2973&Itemid=219&lang=en (You might have to register - but it's worth it)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar